Monday, April 16, 2012

Really important takeaway

In reading P. Melter's RR, I picked up this gem.

By this time of the day I was pretty much drenched in sweat. Again, with 20/20 hindsight I know I should have been pounding more salt. I felt I was okay with water and I was doing well with my fueling plans, which I'd practiced in my training. I kept to a fairly strict intake each half an hour, and that was working well for me. Still, it was getting warmer, and by the time I was approaching Rat Jaw on the short coal road, Carl had joined up, and offered some wise words about how those less smart will run it, while the smart will take the opportunity here to walk and eat and drink. This was the first time I'd done Rat Jaw with the Prison section and it was a nice twist, meeting on ascent those who were just ahead and heading down; then passing by those who were behind me climbing up, on my way down.


In hindsight, James and I walked this section, mostly becasue we had just gotten scraped and were a little unsure if we were headed in the right direction. I don't recall taking in any calories at this point and I know I ran out of water on the way up Rat Jaw, so I must have been drinking. Looking ahead to the next attempt, I will make sure to take in calories and drink, the climb up Rat Jaw is a beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment